I love baking and I love peanut butter. Craving something sweet one night, I looked at the ingredients I had in the apartment and decided to attempt to bake a healthy peanut butter cookie. I’m pretty happy with the results and these are definitely safe for a picky eater to try out. I’m so excited I’ve found a way to bake using coconut oil and honey instead of butter and sugar!
1 cup gluten-free flour (or whole grain flour if you don’t have this)
1/3 – ½ cup organic honey
½ cup organic, natural, unsweetened peanut butter
½ cup organic solidified coconut oil
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
¼ tsp. salt
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. baking powder
1 tbsp. flax seeds
1 tbsp. brown sugar (optional)
1/2 cup 70% (or higher) cacao chips or white chocolate chips (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and pour all dry ingredients into a medium sized mixing bowl – leaving out the flax seeds and (if you decided to use them) chocolate chips.
2. Pour all wet ingredients into a large mixing bowl. These ingredients include the organic honey, unsweetened peanut butter, egg, solidified coconut oil and vanilla extract. The brown sugar is not used until the end.
3. Mix the dry ingredients thoroughly.
4. Beat the wet ingredients until completely combined – making sure there are no lumps in the mixture.
5. With the beater at a low-speed, add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients one portion at a time.
6. Add the flax seeds. Beat the mixture until there are no lumps and the flax is completely combined. Do the same with the chocolate chips if you are using them.
7. I would recommend lining a baking sheet with parchment paper – but don’t fret if you don’t have any. The cookies are quite oily and shouldn’t stick to the pan.
8. Roll one-inch in diameter sized balls of the mixture and line them on the baking sheet.
9. Take a fork and press down on each of the cookies – I like to make the classic grid pattern with mine.
10. Place them in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown along the edges.
11. If you are choosing to include brown sugar – take the cookies out just before they are finished and sprinkle the brown sugar over top of each cookie. Place the cookies back into the oven and allow them to finish – allowing the brown sugar to slightly bake into the cookie.
12. Remove, allow to cool and enjoy!